BACK IN STOCK AT LAST!
Due to difficulties with getting things shipped from China (the only place we could find that actually manufactures this sort of thing), we are unable to get more dice. We do have a small stock at our office in California—click here to order!
Like us on Facebook
Follow J S Kingfisher
Meet the Solfège Dice!
What is Solfège?
Solfège (sol-FEZH) is a system of syllables that indicate notes in a musical scale. The C Major Scale, for example – C,D,E, F, G, A, B, C – can be represented in Solfège by the syllables do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do.
A Bb Major scale – although it begins on a different note than a C Major Scale – is represented in Solfège by those same syllables. This holds true for any Major Scale started on any pitch: Solfége is not about specific notes, but about relationships between notes.
Advantages and Uses of Solfège.
• Solfège can function as a kind of musical shorthand, especially in vocal groups. Singers can be directed without having to be fluent in all 12 keys.
• No pitch reference is needed to work in Solfège – no sheet music nor piano. It’s great in a capella environments.
• Solfège is learned by – and is dependent upon – our ears. Becoming fluent in it can be a gateway to fluency in playing, singing, and listening: one becomes less “tied to the page”.
Who uses Solfège?
Singers, music educators, music students, composers, orchestrators, instrumentalists... anyone who has a need to communicate pitch information regardless of key.
How are the actual dice used?
• As an educational tool. Dice can be rolled and students can sing what comes up, either horizontally as a melody, or vertically as harmony. This is great ear training! In theory classes, students can be asked to define rolled Solfège notes in different keys (Example: what is ti in the key of E?).
• As a compositional tool. The Solfège Dice – like the Musician’s Dice – can be used in creating compositions from random elements.
Which should I get, the Musician’s Dice or the Solfège Dice?
The Musician’s Dice have, perhaps, a somewhat broader appeal. While the Solfège Dice can be enjoyed by musicians of all stripes as well, they are especially appropriate for singers and educators.
$24.95 + Shipping for a box of 12 and a groovy travel pouch